Before the Trip to El Salvador


The territorial extension of El Salvador is 20,742 kilometers², 320 kms. of these along the Pacific coast which extends all throughout the country. The country's landscape includes numerous valleys, mountains, volcanoes, and coastal low lands. The mother mountain range runs all throughout the country from east to west. El Salvador borders Guatemala to the West and Honduras to the North. Located right in the middle of Central America, is a perfect point of start, when exploring the whole region. Map of El Salvador


The official language is Spanish. Small indigenous groups (less than 0.3% of the population) still speak the indigenous mother tongue "Nahuatl".


The country's six million inhabitants are divided into three major ethnic groups: European descendant, half European - indigenous and Salvadorian indigenous.


Approximately 80% of the population practices the catholic religion, but also many other religions such as: Evangelic, Baptist, Jehovah witnesses, Adventists, Mormons are practiced.


US Dollar, we recommend to always carry a little cash with you, since many stores and small businesses do not take credit cards.

Highest Point

Cerro El Pital 2,730 meters.


Most goods and services must be applied a 13% tax called IVA (Value Added Tax).In 2005 a new tax was approved to support the Ministry of Toursim and scince 2006 all hotels are required to charge a 5% toursim tax. It is always a good idea to check first to see if both taxes 13% and 5% are included in the room price or if you will need to add the total 18% to the room price.

National Time

El Salvador is six hours behind Greenwich Meridian time (GMT-6).


A ten percent (10%) of the total amount of a bill is recommended at most places. Before tipping, check with the establishment since many usually include it in the bill's total.


January 1st New Year's Day; March / April: Easter or Holly Week; May 1st: Labor Day; August 4, 5 and 6: El Salvador's Patron Saint festivities honoring the "Salvador del Mundo" (Saviour of the World); September 15th: Independence Day; October 12th: Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus; November 2nd: Memorial Day; December 25th: Christmas.


El Salvador borders the Pacific Ocean to the south. The dark sand beaches come from volcanic origin and the water temperature ranges from 17°C to 20°C all year round. The country is famous for its great waves for surfing.


Tropical climate; summer lasts from November to April and rainy season from May to October. During these months it generally rains in the late afternoon and evening. The average annual temperature is 25°C. (77°F.)


We recommend that you plan your travel well in advance and consider taking guided tours since they can provide advice on conflictive areas which should be avoided. We can help with basic travel planning and recomendations for realible tour guides, drivers and tour companies